Supervisor and Mentoring Team Guidelines
Expectations of a Supervisor
Supervisors are important partners in the covenant relations between student, congregation or agency, and the seminary.
Each supervisor must be willing to:
- Submit the site application to the supervised ministry instructor directly. The internship hours required are a total of 200 hours/term. Ordinarily a total of 16 hours, no fewer than 11 hours per week must be completed at the setting or in direct ministry on site. The remaining 5 hours per week may include preparation for class participation.
- Complete a required supervisor orientation as a prerequisite for mentoring an intern. Orientations are generally held before the start of the term and may be available online
- Assist the intern in identifying members of the mentoring team. Most will be members of the congregation.
- Establish and honor regularly scheduled supervisory times with the intern and meet with the intern once a week for at least an hour. See Weekly Time Log.
- Provide in-process and final assessment.
A supervisor must not be a spouse or relative of the intern, nor the student’s current pastor. Site supervisors must serve at the internship site. If approved by the supervised ministry instructor, an off-site supervisor may serve as the intern’s supervisor.
Mentoring Team Information
All congregational internship settings are required to provide 3 to 5 mentors who will be available to meet with the interns on a regular basis for feedback and support.
Mentoring Team Requirements:
- The supervisor is not a participant in the mentoring team meetings but should ensure that mentoring team members understand their responsibilities.
- Mentoring team responsibilities are:
- ministry reflection
- vocational discernment
- writing mentoring team assessment report is a part of the final assessment
- The intern sets and communicates the agenda for each meeting.
- The mentoring team meeting should occur three times per term.
- Mentoring team feedback is a part of the final assessment: attach a one to two page (maximum) statement from your mentoring team that includes their:
- assessment of the mentoring relationship
- assessment of student’s strengths and professional development needs
- Self-assessment of their work as a mentoring team