City Mission Urban Pastoral Ministry - Boston, MA
City Mission Urban Pastoral Ministry Program is a two-year residency for recent seminary graduates who are called to ordained urban ministry. Through a partnership between City Mission and three established Boston churches (one UCC, one PC(USA), and one AME), residents gain hands-on experience in worship, administration, and outreach in an urban congregation, mentorship from experienced ministers, and opportunities for leadership in collaborations between City Mission, these congregations, and other organizations. Designed to help new pastors develop networks of support, the program provides weekly opportunities for learning and reflection for residents in their cohort. For more information, click: https://www.upsem.edu/wp-content/uploads/2021/09/Residency-Program-City-Mission-Boston.pdf
Covenant Presbyterian - Charlotte, NC
Covenant Presbyterian is a dynamic Christian community that gladly invites all people into a transformational experience of faith; boldly proclaims the gospel; bravely works toward a whole and just world; and passionately nurtures discipleship. Our location, on the edge of downtown and embedded in an historic neighborhood, provides ample opportunity to serve people from many walks of life. Our steeple graces the skyline of Charlotte, reminding us and our neighbors that we are loved by God and called to share that love. Our main entrance, open to all, bears the words, “To the Greater Glory of God” reminding us why we are here. The breadth and scope of our church can be seen on our website, which includes newsletters, sermons, bulletins, the operating budget, and program information.
Covenant is accepting applications for three residencies: Congregational Care, Mission and Outreach, and Education Ministry. More information is available through the links below:
First Baptist Church - Richmond, VA
Serve as a member of the ministerial leadership team and gain experience leading and serving in Richmond’s First Baptist Church’s five core areas of church life – Worship, Formation, Community, Engagement, and Compassion.
More Information can be found here.
Mail or email applications to:
Richmond’s First Baptist Church
Rev. Dr. Allison Collier, Residency Coordinator
2709 Monument Ave.
Richmond, VA 23220
Email to Allison Collier at email@example.com
First Presbyterian Church - Ann Arbor, MI
- First Presbyterian Church of Ann Arbor, Michigan, is seeking candidates for our Resident Ministry Program. We invite you to suggest prospective applicants who have demonstrated strong potential for ministry. We are seeking candidates who are motivated, innately curious, perceptive, determined, and deeply engaged in a life of ministry, service and leadership.The Residency Program at First Presbyterian gives outstanding seminary graduates the opportunity to transition from seminary to a lifetime of effective ministry. First Presbyterian Church of Ann Arbor, Michigan, is a vital, growing church in the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.). Ann Arbor is a friendly, highly livable city offering myriad cultural, intellectual, political, and social resources, along with world-class University of Michigan academics, music and athletics. The church was one of the first to receive support from Lilly Endowment, Inc. to sponsor this Residency Program and has now claimed this teaching ministry as a significant part of our mission.The Residency Program seeks to refine the academic preparation of seminary graduates and ground them in the practice of ministry. Many seminary graduates benefit from additional ministerial experiences, practical knowledge and the opportunity to develop leadership skills. This two-year Residency encourages newly-ordained ministers to forge work patterns that maximize their gifts and skills. It enables residents to connect their theological and biblical studies with the day-to-day life of a congregation.Resident ministers serve two years at First Presbyterian Church in Ann Arbor in validated ministry positions. Their ministry is compensated at appropriate levels and includes participation in the Board of Pensions healthcare and benefits program. After two years in residence, they are better prepared to respond to calls to parish ministry in a variety of settings.The application period for this Resident Ministry Program is currently open; all application materials are due by January 31, 2023. A Resident Ministry brochure may be found here.All application materials may also be found on our First Pres website.
First Presbyterian Church - Bristol, TN
First Presbyterian Church of Bristol, TN has recently created a Pastoral Resident program at our church, offering a 2-year program for graduates with an M.Div. and who wish to pursue/complete their ordination in the PCUSA to learn in a programmatic/multi-staff church environment. The emphasis during the two-year period is for the resident to learn how to do ministry well, and have the resources and time to complete the ordination process. The resident will be present and active in every aspect of ministry we have here at the church from administration to children’s ministry.
First Presbyterian--Fort Wayne, IN
- First Presbyterian Church of Fort Wayne, Indiana is searching for its next Resident Pastor. This is a great opportunity for a Presbyterian student to receive “boots on the ground” experience and get ordained before accepting an installed position. You can learn more about the residency and our current Resident Pastor here.The Resident Pastor can delve into an area of ministry they feel passionate about and want to explore more deeply, and learn the nuts and bolts of pastoring a church. We really want the resident to deepen their sense of call and be ready to serve a church when they leave us.First Presbyterian is a vibrant, growing church located in the heart of downtown Fort Wayne, a mid-size city that is experiencing a renaissance. We have a 40-year old Korean Language ministry with a full-time Associate Pastor leading it, an arts ministry with a 300-seat theater and art gallery led by a full-time Director of Arts ministry, an active community engagement and missions focus, and a Day School. These are only some of the highlights that set First Pres apart from other churches that the Resident Pastor could experience in their time here.This is a 2 year residency and is geared towards candidates who want to pursue parish ministry. The Resident Pastor will be ordained to the residency, so we are looking for candidates who will be ready to be ordained, ideally, within the first 12 months of the residency. (We understand they may not yet be certified as ready to receive a call, but we want someone who is on track for ordination.) We meet the minimum salary requirements for Whitewater Valley Presbytery including full Board of Pensions benefits. With Fort Wayne’s low cost of living, one can live well here. In year two of the residency, the Resident Pastor will continue to explore his/her sense of call while receiving professional job coaching to get that PIF ready!The deadline for applications is February 28, 2022.
First Presbyterian Church - Greensboro, NC
- First Presbyterian Church of Greensboro, NC, is now accepting applications for its ninth pastoral resident for a two-year term beginning in August 2023. The residency program is named in honor of our former pastor Rev. Dr. Sid Batts and his wife Cathy.Applications will be accepted through January 9, 2023.In our residents we seek aspiring pastors who desire a comprehensive residency experience in a large church. A primary focus of the pastoral residency is to identify and develop leadership skills and a collaborative leadership style. We seek candidates who yearn to grow as servant leaders within the context of the church as the body of Christ. The program is designed to nourish pastors as spiritual and organizational leaders and to provide a well-balanced start for their pastoral careers.We are seeking recent seminary graduates with the M. Div. degree who are on track for ordination in the Presbyterian Church (USA).For more information:• A fuller description of the program: Description-of-Sid-and-Cathy-Batts-Program-2023• The application for the residency: Residency-2023-ApplicationApplicants can also access these documents online at www.fpcgreensboro.org/Residency and can learn more about the ministries and congregation of First Presbyterian Church at our website. We are a thriving downtown congregation in a city with a diverse faith community, five colleges and universities and many cultural assets.
First Presbyterian -- Libertyville, IL
- General Position Description● Length of residency: Two‐year pastoral residency (2024 – 2026)● Education requirements: Recent seminary graduate (M.Div. degree) on track for ordination● Theological: Reformed tradition● Primary focus: Pastoral responsibilities for a large, suburban congregation, with a focus on Faith FormationFirst Presbyterian Church of Libertyville First Presbyterian Church of Libertyville is a large congregation located in the northern Chicago suburbs. We are located a five‐minutes’ walk away from a charming, historic main street that offers a variety of restaurants, shops, and services, as well as a beautiful park that hosts picnics, fairs, concerts, and other gatherings throughout the year. The nearby Metra train station provides access directly to downtown Chicago. In the immediate area, there are a wide range of bike paths, parks, forest preserves, and performing arts organizations. First Pres is a dedicated and welcoming community that has inspired service, vocations, and spiritual growth among families and individuals of every age and every station in life for 150 years. We are a Presbyterian Church (USA) “Matthew 25 congregation” focusing on all three initiatives of building congregational vitality, dismantling structural racism, and eradicating systemic poverty. In order to best support our efforts in dismantling structural racism, we established our Committee on Anti‐Racism and Equity (CARE), which provides education and partnership opportunities both within our congregation and in the larger community. We work for Christian unity and we grow in love with one another. We believe that a church is called to inspire by word and deed through its common life and the life of its members. Ours is a community with a strong calling for mission outreach, faith formation, and worship through music. We have two 10 a.m. services – a traditional service in the Sanctuary and a contemporary service in the Chapel. We currently livestream our worship services for people who wish to join us in worship remotely. We celebrate in worship with a vibrant music program, from our numerous children’s and adult choirs, the Chapel Music team, multiple handbell choirs, pipe organ, and major work services performed by our Chancel Choir. Scope of Ministry Although this residency will involve a particular emphasis on Faith Formation, the Resident will participate in leading worship (including preaching), support community engagement as well as congregational care, and play a role in church governance. Intentional time for reflection and study on the practice of ministry is part of the residency.Description Residency Learning Development Program At the start of the residency, the Pastor/Head of Staff will work with the Resident and an adjunct Pastoral Coach to design the best syllabus of learning to accompany the practice of learning. A combination of theological inquiry, case study reflection, and practical discernment for ministry will be part of structured reflection. The Pastor/Head of Staff will meet every other week for 90 minutes of conversation about the practice of ministry including some structured theological reflection and a monthly case study review. The Pastoral Coach (a seasoned pastor working as an adjunct in this capacity for First Pres) will meet once a month as an outside sounding board about the practice of ministry. Upon arrival, the resident will be offered a list of spiritual directors and a monthly stipend to provide a monthly space for deepened personal examination of vocation and discernment.Application requirements:● Cover letter● Completed application form: https://forms.gle/7CqZnnGYDtJgcoe1ASubmission and Contact Information● Submit to PastoralResidentFPCL@gmail.com by February 16, 2024For more information click here.
First Presbyterian - Shreveport, LA
First Presbyterian Church, Shreveport, LA, established a pastoral residency program through a generous gift by the Newton B. Stoer Foundation and provides a gifted graduate of a Presbyterian seminary an opportunity to be mentored by FPC-Shreveport staff and members during a 2-year pastoral residency. For more information on the 2023-2025 Stoer Pastoral Residency, click below:
Forum for Theological Exploration
Congregation-Based Residency Programs place recent seminary graduates in congregations for two-year residencies. The programs are intended to immerse graduates in pastoral ministry, including full pastoral status, a collaborative environment, mentored/supervised ministry and ongoing reflection on the practice of ministry with the goal of establishing a baseline for excellence in ministry
Madison Avenue Presbyterian Church - New York City, NY
Standing at the corner of Madison Avenue and E. 73rd Street on Manhattan’s Upper East Side, Madison Avenue Presbyterian Church has long been a prominent witness to Christian faith in its worship and commitment to social action. Over the course of more than a hundred years, it has had just five pastors – Henry Sloane Coffin, George Buttrick, David H.C. Read, and Fred R. Anderson and Jenny McDevitt. It is committed to the service of the Word in all its aspects. Besides its concern with preaching, it celebrates the Eucharist at all its Sunday worship services. Since the time of Dr. Coffin, it has been deeply involved with a social witness. It supports numerous social projects in the city. It is international and has had a partnership with the Church of Central Africa Presbyterian in Zimbabwe. It has long been known for its excellent musical program, which radiates from its worship. This program sponsors the concerts of the St. Andrew Music Society, and the church is the home to the New York City Children’s Chorus.
Myers Park Presbyterian Church - Charlotte, NC
This two-year residency program is for seminary graduates who hold particular promise as pastors and wish to develop their ministerial skills under dedicated supervision in a large church setting. This is an ordained position in which Resident Pastors serve and learn alongside the staff and congregation of Myers Park Presbyterian Church.
Resident Pastors will have ongoing opportunities for worship leadership and for pastoral care. They will have focused times serving in faith formation, administration, and outreach. Resident Pastors will also explore ministry in a smaller church setting in the Charlotte area in order to gain experience that will help in discerning a call. In the second year, each Resident Pastor will be encouraged to focus on a specific ministry area or project that will deepen personal skills for ministry.
Find more information and application documents below:
Presbyterian Campus Ministry - Chapel Hill, NC
Presbyterian Campus Ministry in Chapel Hill (at University Presbyterian Church) in partnership with Cary Presbyterian Church is offering a full-time, fully-benefited, ordainable, 2-year Pastoral Residency, beginning summer 2023 through summer 2025. See Position Description for details: $72,150 full package with full PCUSA Board of Pensions benefits. Please contact Rev Berry French (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Rev Paul Lang (email@example.com) with interest, or send a cover letter, resume or PIF (if you have one ready, not a requirement) to Berry and Paul. The committee will be reviewing application materials in Feb, March, and April 2023. Start date is flexible over this summer.
PCM of CH and CPC are progressive ministry settings with a Campus Minister (at PCM) and Head of Staff (at CPC) that feel called to mentoring young clergy and providing space for learning, growth, and lots of hands-on experience and leadership. The current Pastoral Resident Kim Rubish drafted notes from a previous Pastoral Resident to flesh out the position description. Candidates may be certified ready to receive a call, or just beginning the PCUSA Ordination process, or anywhere in between.
Preston Hollow Presbyterian Church -- Dallas, TX
Preston Hollow Presbyterian Church in Dallas, TX is looking for who would be interested in their two-year Pastoral Residency Program. If you would like more information please contact their Senior Associate Pastor, Mark Brainerd (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Second Presbyterian Church - Indianapolis, IN
We are seeking gifted candidates for the Lake Fellow in Parish Ministry Residency Program, a two-year fellowship that has provided dynamic ministry experience for recent M.Div. graduates for more than twenty years. Your input and recommendations are invaluable to our search.
Application instructions that can be forwarded to potential candidates are attached and can be found at secondchurch.org/lakefellows. Applications are due on January 31, 2024.
For a short, informative video including interviews with past fellows and Senior Pastor Emeritus Rev. Dr. Bill Enright, please visit our YouTube channel here: Lake Fellow Residency Program – YouTube
· Candidates must hold an M.Div. by the beginning of their residency and must be on track for ordination in the PC(USA) or a denomination in full communion with the PC(USA). Preference will be given to December 2023 and May 2024 seminary graduates.
· We compensate Fellows at a salary commensurate with associate pastor positions in large congregations in the PC(USA).
· The program has a threefold emphasis: Congregational Ministry, Church Leadership, and Academic Study. (See a detailed description at secondchurch.org/lakefellows)
· Fellows gain experience in key ministry areas, including but not limited to: Preaching, pastoral care, missions, spiritual formation, administration, engagement, and stewardship.
· The program includes weekly seminars led by senior staff, guest speakers, and Senior Pastor Rev. Chris Henry, along with many additional continuing education events and experiences.
· Each Fellow is connected with a partner church in the Indianapolis area where they preach approximately once per month in a smaller setting.
White Memorial Presbyterian Church - Raleigh, NC
This two-year residency program is for seminary graduates who wish to develop their skills for ministry and grow in their pastoral identity in a large congregational setting. This is an ordained position in which the Pastoral Resident learns and serves alongside the staff and congregation of White Memorial Presbyterian Church.
Through diverse ministry experiences, mentorship and supervision, the Pastoral Resident is encouraged to clarify gifts for ministry and identify areas of particular interest. In Let Your Life Speak Parker Palmer writes, “Vocation does not come from willfulness. It comes from listening.” Throughout the program, the Pastoral Resident is tasked with listening – to experience, to the wisdom of colleagues and to the reflections of the community—as they discern how God might be calling them to serve the Church.