Pathways to Learning & Leadership – winter and spring 2017
This is an online program of nine courses offered over a two-year period to provide educational preparation toward leading a congregation as a Commissioned Ruling Elder, and six courses for church members who want to increase their knowledge and discipleship. Each course is five weeks long.
- Dates: January – March, 2017
- Leaders: Union Presbyterian Seminary faculty and experienced practitioners
- Event location: Wherever your computer is!
- Registration: $100 per five-week course
- CEUs: 3.0 per course
- For: Those desiring to become Commissioned Ruling Elders and church members who want to further their education and discipleship
To assist presbyteries in training women and men to be Commissioned Ruling Elders, AND to offer quality educational opportunities for church members in an affordable and accessible way, the Leadership Institute is offering a program with two tracks:
Commissioned Ruling Elders (CREs) take four Foundational Courses in the first year and five Practical Courses in the second year, which will fulfill the educational requirements of CREs for participating presbyteries. Foundation Courses are online and Practical Courses are hybrid (partly online and partly in person).
Church members take the same four Foundational Courses in the first year as CREs and two other courses (electives – which are entirely online – or Practical Ministries Courses, which are hybrid) in the second year. Completion of these six courses results in a Certificate of Completion from the Leadership Institute.
Click here for more details about the Pathways program.
Click here to register for Mission and Evangelism, which meets online from February 21 – March 21, 2017
Course description – Mission and Evangelism:
- In the PC(USA) Book of Order, the first of the great ends of the church is “The proclamation of the gospel for the salvation of humankind.” What does this mean in a postcolonial world and our post-Christendom Western culture? Can (or should) anything be done about the decline of mainline Protestantism in North America? What do mission and evangelism look like in the 21st century? In this course students will be challenged to articulate their own understanding of the gospel while exploring innovative ways of being a missional church in our rapidly changing world.