Mission & Vision
Union Presbyterian Seminary equips Christian leaders for ministry in the world — a sacred vocation that requires deep learning, commitment to service, and an ability to read culture and circumstance in the light of the rich resources of Scripture and theological tradition.
The seminary's core mission is to participate in the mission of the church by forming and equipping leaders for the work of ministry, for building up the body of Christ (Eph 4:12).
- We confess the Lordship of Jesus Christ. We believe that Jesus is God in the flesh, the Son of that One whom he called Father. His life, ministry, death and resurrection have transformed the world. As the risen and living Lord, Jesus has called us to bear witness to his transformative presence in the world.
- We serve as a theological resource for church and society.
- We weave together distinctive approaches to theological education for pastoral and educational ministries.
- We educate, inspire, and empower leaders for congregational life, theological scholarship, and bold Christian service to the world.
- We seek to participate faithfully in the Holy Spirit's transformation of the seminary, the church, and through the church, the world.
Our vision on the future of theological education is a formidable one-a vision built upon our 200 years of academic excellence based on sound biblical and theological teaching. We teach the two biblical languages that equip our students to better interpret the scripture. We embrace diversity and expose our students to a full spectrum of theological thinking. Our vision and programs prepare leaders for the future church by:
- Building a strong sense of church Community with our COL program
- Empowering practical skills and strategically planning for church growth in our Leadership Institute curriculum
- Nurturing the growth and survival of small churches through the Church-Serve Scholarship programs
- Uplifting Christian education in the global church via our Global Mission on Christian education
- Providing flexibility in learning via our three delivery platforms
2014-2019 Strategic Plan for Union Presbyterian Seminary
2009-2014 Strategic Plan for Union Presbyterian Seminary