Since its formation in 1812, Union Theological Seminary has sustained the intention of its founders to provide education for Christian ministry that is scholarly, pastoral, and engaged with contemporary life. In July 2010, Union-PSCE changed its name to Union Presbyterian Seminary to reflect a new vision for its future, signifying the new creation in which God is calling this historic seminary to participate.
Union Presbyterian Seminary in Richmond, VA, occupies a 56-acre campus in historic Ginter Park in Richmond's Northside, with classroom buildings, a mix of student housing options, landscaped grounds, and one of the finest theological libraries in the United States. The campus is on the national historic registry. Worship is held several times a week when classes are in session. Students organize and lead worship, with additional participation and leadership from faculty, alumni/ae, and staff. In addition, the community participates in meals, formal and informal fellowship gatherings, lectures and discussions, community service opportunities, social events, and athletic programs. Students are encouraged to become involved in the life of local congregations.
Union offers programs at a second campus in Charlotte, NC. located in a newly built, state-of-the-art facility at 5141 Sharon Road on the campus of Sharon Presbyterian Church. The curriculum at Union Presbyterian Seminary in Charlotte is designed especially for second-career students who continue full or part-time work while pursuing theological study. The fellowship of the student cohorts along with the leadership and support of the faculty and staff is a particular strength of the program.
The Extended Campus Program (ECP) provides a means to pursue part-time graduate study toward the Master of Christian Education degree without relocating by combining distance learning in one's home setting with intensive on-campus sessions in Richmond twice a year.