Extended Campus Admissions
Online enhanced with on campus!
The Extended Campus Program (ECP) provides you a means to be busy with careers and families and pursue part-time graduate study in our Master of Arts in Christian Education (MACE) degree program without relocating to Richmond or Charlotte.
As an ECP Student you:
- Pursue a MACE degree while continuing to live and work in your community.
- Enhance your vocational skills and knowledge in educational ministry.
- Fulfill the course requirements for Presbyterian Church (USA) educator certification.
The ECP Format:
- You complete nine weeks of off-campus study.
- A course syllabus guides your readings and assignments.
- You interact via email and virtual classrooms with professors and other students.
- During the on-campus session, you attend three hours of class per course per day, for six days.
- You join in worship, meals, informal interaction with the seminary community, and use the library.
- Following the on-campus session, you complete assigned summary projects or papers.
- Course work is linked to your home congregation work or specific areas of ministry.
Educator Certification Initiative
The Educator Certification Initiative (ECI) provides Christian educators with access to in-depth, graduate-level courses that satisfy PC(USA) certification course requirements in all knowledge and skill areas: Biblical interpretation; Reformed theology; faith and human development; religious education theory and practice; worship and sacraments; and Presbyterian polity, program, and mission.
Union Presbyterian Seminary’s ECI Courses:
- Are available via all three “campus” experiences.
- Are graduate level and eligible for transfer into the Master of Arts in Christian Education (MACE) degree program.
- Will enhance your ministry in Christian education!
APPLICATION Complete the Application for Admission. You may either submit the form electronically, or you may print it out and mail it to the Admissions Office. If you submit the form electronically, please don't forget to mail your check or money order for the application fee to the Admissions Office.
TRANSCRIPTS Applicants must have an original transcript, showing courses and grades, sent directly from each accredited four-year college or university they have attended. A final transcript showing a bachelor's degree and the date conferred must be on file before a student may enroll. Transcripts of all academic work beyond high school, whether or not a degree was conferred, are required. Request sealed transcripts to be sent directly from the institution and mailed to our Admissions Office. An official transcript may also be forwarded to us unopened. If available, eScripts may be sent to email@example.com.
BACKGROUND CHECK A background check is required of all applicants who are:
- U.S. citizens
- Resident aliens
- International applicants who have lived in the U.S. for the last two years
The Admissions Office recognizes that personal integrity, emotional health, and spiritual maturity are essential to faithful and effective ministry. Yet we affirm that even serious misdeeds have sometimes been a part of an experience of growth, transformation, and call, by the work of God's Spirit that leads a person to seminary, and to faithful ministry. We also realize that people come to the attention of criminal justice systems for a variety of reasons-including not only the commission of crimes but also mistaken allegations, acts of civil disobedience, and systemic injustices such as racism. No charge or past offense automatically disqualifies an applicant from admission. All records will be evaluated in context, and prior to an admission decision.
The background check consists of two parts:
Applicants should download a Personal Disclosure Statement, disclose any information that may be found by the legal background check, sign the form, and mail it to the Director of Admissions at the address given.
Go to www.certifiedbackground.com, click on "students," in the Package Code box, enter "ua37," select a method of payment for the $36.00, and complete the questions.
Presbyterian Church (USA) students need only complete the background check once. All PC(USA) seminaries can share. Your application file is not complete until the Personal Disclosure Statement and the results of the background check have been received at Union Presbyterian Seminary.
APPLICATION FEE An application fee of $30.00 must be included when mailing the application.
SUBMIT Mail application and all supporting documents to Union Presbyterian Seminary, Office of Admissions, 3401 Brook Road, Richmond, VA 23227.