Master of Divinty/Master of Arts in Christian Education (Dual Degree)
Charlotte and Richmond campuses
- Students in this program plan to make Christian education a significant part of their ministry, whether or not they seek ordination.
- Dual degree graduates serve as associate pastors of Christian education, youth ministers, hospital chaplains, campus ministers, camp and conference directors, “solo” pastors with a full range of responsibilities, and in other roles.
Candidates for the M.Div./M.A.C.E. program normally must have received a bachelor’s degree (B.A. or B.S.) from a four-year college or university accredited by one of the nationally-recognized regional accrediting agencies in the United States, or hold an equivalent educational credential from another country.
An interview with a member of the faculty is required. There are three ways in which you may interview: in person on either campus, by Skype, or by phone. Please contact Tanya Wineland, Admissions Assistant, at 804.278.4221 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org to arrange your interview.
Residency and Time Requirements
Students may earn both a Master of Arts in Christian Education degree and a Master of Divinity degree (M.Div./M.A.C.E.) in four years on the Richmond campus, or seven years on the Charlotte campus.
Summary of Requirements for the M.Div./M.A.C.E. Degree
Required Courses (81 hours)
Biblical Languages (12 hours)
Biblical Studies (12 hours)
Theology, Ethics, and History (15 hours)
Practical Theology/Education and Ministry (24 hours)
- PRA 102 - Introduction to Pastoral Care
- PRA 103 - Introduction to Preaching and Worship
- Preaching and Worship elective
- EDU 127 - Worship, Sacraments, and Education
- EDU 166 - The Christian Life
- EDU 186 - The Teaching Ministry
- EDU 263 - Theory for Education in Religion
- EDU 272 - Aspects of Human Growth and Development
Church in the World (9 hours)
An approved course in each of the following areas, with at least 1 of the courses (3 hours) being in supervised ministry:
• Community Engagement
• Interfaith Relations
For more information about these courses, click here.
Elective Courses (39 hours)
(including 12 hours of EDU electives)
Total 120 hours