Union Presbyterian Seminary welcomes international students who plan to serve the global church.
Basic Degrees Applications
- Documented endorsement of their denomination or other church agency.
- English Language Proficiency: International applicants who do not speak, write, or read English as their first language are required to submit current scores from the four sections of the internet-based Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL iBT). Scores from the paper-based test will no longer be accepted. Applicants must achieve a minimum of 20 on each section of the TOEFL iBT in order to be considered for admission. We will not accept IELTS scores in lieu of TOEFL iBT scores. Test information is available from Educational Testing Services at www.ets.org. Those who have completed four years of bachelor’s or higher level of study in an institution in the United States of America may request an exemption from the Director of Admissions.
- Interviews: Interviews with both a member of the faculty, and a member of admissions, are required. If you are applying for the Th.M. program, an interview with both the Director of Graduate Studies, and a (the) member of the faculty with whom you wish to study, are required. Once we have received your completed application and your TOEFL scores, we will help you to schedule them. There are three ways in which you may interview: in person on either campus, by Skype, or by phone. Please contact Tanya Wineland, Admissions Assistant, at 804.278.4221 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org to arrange your interview.
Financial requirements: An international student Certification of Funding form with bank statements showing available funds from each source of assistance and documentation certifying the availability of funds sufficient to cover living expenses during the course of study at Union Presbyterian Seminary. Applicants who are accepted must deposit funds with the seminary by May 1 preceding the fall term.
Living Expenses (2016-2017 estimated costs)
$34,893 single student 11-month budget for tuition, books, and living expenses if living on campus. International health insurance rates vary and are not included in this figure.
$37,368 married students with no children 11-month budget for tuition, books, and living expenses if living on campus. International health insurance rates vary and are not included in this figure.
Students who are admitted and qualified for need-based financial aid receive funds to pay up to 75% of tuition. Particularly well-qualified international students may receive aid in the form of merit scholarships. However, international students who accept merit-based scholarships are not eligible for institutional need-based aid. Financial aid will not cover travel or living expenses.
- Living Expenses (2016-2017 estimated costs)
- The international student advisor in the academic dean’s office will assist admitted students in completing visa forms after money has been deposited.
- Submit all required forms and deposit all required funds by May 1 for each year of study.
- All international students and their family members living in the U.S. are required to have health insurance through a company approved by Union Presbyterian Seminary. International health insurance rates vary. More information can be found at International Student Insurance.
- For questions about the application process, contact Tanya Wineland via email: email@example.com or telephone: 804.278.4221.
- UPSem recommends international students not bring family members with them for the first year of study.
- International applications are accepted for Richmond campus only.
- International students cannot apply as a Limited Enrollment applicant.