Advanced Application Step-by-Step
Forming Leaders. Transforming the Church.
Advanced Degree Application
The Advance Degree Application period will open on September 1
Master of Theology (Th.M) Deadline to Apply: March 15
NEW SCHOLARSHIPS FOR TH.M. STUDENTS
Union Presbyterian Seminary is pleased to offer scholarships equal to full tuition for students in the Masters of Theology program. To be eligible, applications for the program must be complete by March 15.
We recommend you complete an online application for admission. Frequently asked questions about the online application system can be found here.
Applicants must submit three academic references as part of their completed application. You may download this Reference Form and send it to your recommender. We suggest that you include a stamped envelope with the seminary’s address with the form.
Transcripts of all academic work beyond high school, whether or not a degree was conferred, are required. Request sealed transcripts to be sent directly from the institution and mailed to our Admissions Office. An official transcript may also be forwarded to us unopened. If available, eScripts may be sent to email@example.com.
A background check is required of all applicants who are U.S. Citizens, Resident Aliens, and International Applicants who have lived in the US for more than two years. The Admissions Committee recognizes that personal integrity, emotional health, and spiritual maturity are essential to faithful and effective ministry. Yet we affirm that even serious misdeeds have sometimes been a part of an experience of growth, transformation, and call, by the work of God's Spirit that leads a person to seminary, and to faithful ministry. We also realize that people come to the attention of criminal justice systems for a variety of reasons-including not only the commission of crimes but also mistaken allegations, acts of civil disobedience, and systemic injustices such as racism. No charge or past offense automatically disqualifies an applicant from admission. All records will be evaluated in context, and prior to an admission decision.
The background check consists of two parts:
1. Applicants should download a Personal Disclosure Statement, disclose any information that may be found by the legal background check, sign the form, and mail it to the Director of Admissions at the address given.
2. Go to www.certifiedbackground.com, click on "students," in the Package Code box, enter "ua37," select a method of payment for the $36.00, and complete the questions.
Presbyterian Church (USA) students need only complete the background check once. All PC(USA) seminaries can share. Your application file is not complete until the Personal Disclosure Statement and the results of the background check have been received at Union Presbyterian Seminary.
The $65.00 application fee may be paid by credit card when you are ready to submit the completed online application. Or mail us a check or money order with your completed paper application.
Press the submit button on the online application. Don’t forget to submit any additional required documents. PDFs sent by email are preferred.
Or, mail the paper application and all supporting documents to Union Presbyterian Seminary, Office of Admissions, 3401 Brook Road, Richmond, VA 23227. All materials should be sent to the attention of the Admissions Office.
- Even if you are applying using the online application, you may need to print out additional forms, fill them out by hand, and mail them.
- If you are mailing the paper application form, don't forget to include the application fee with your application form.
- To download our PDF forms you will need to download Adobe Acrobat Reader.
- For help or information, email or call Admissions Assistant Tanya Wineland at firstname.lastname@example.org or 804.278.4221.